Not too long ago one in every of our readers requested us to share some WordPress market share information, utilization stats, and analysis to assist persuade their boss on why they need to use WordPress.
Although WordPress is the most well-liked web site builder on the planet, generally reputation alone isn’t sufficient for customers to make up their thoughts.
On this article, we now have compiled an final record of WordPress utilization stats, market share analysis, and different information that can enable you to persuade others to begin utilizing WordPress.
The Fundamentals: What’s WordPress?
WordPress is an open supply software program that permits customers to make a web site. It’s out there for obtain as a free software program and may be put in on any WordPress internet hosting firm.
It’s essential to not confuse WordPress (the software program) with WordPress.com which is a hosted resolution. To study extra, see the distinction between WordPress.com vs WordPress.org in our side-by-side comparability.
It began when two customers of a running a blog software program known as b2/cafelog determined to take the software program in a brand new path. The concept was coined by Matt Mullenweg who was then joined by Mark Little and collectively they launched the primary model of WordPress on Might 27, 2003.
Since then, WordPress has developed from a easy running a blog software program to a CMS, web site builder, eCommerce platform, and extra.
To study extra, see our article in regards to the historical past of WordPress.
WordPress is a group software program and 1000’s of customers from all around the world have contributed to it by submitting code, fixing bugs, translating, testing, and serving to others use it.
Let’s check out some WordPress stats and details to see how WordPress helps folks do nice issues on the web.
How In style is WordPress?
WordPress is immensely widespread and is utilized by hundreds of thousands of individuals all around the world. Listed here are some numbers to place issues in perspective.
- WordPress powers greater than 43% of all web sites on the web.
- It additionally holds 64.2% of CMS market share. No different web site builder software program comes shut.
- WordPress powers web sites for large identify manufacturers together with Disney, Sony, Fb, and extra.
- 38% of high 10,000 Web sites are powered by WordPress.
- Greater than 22% of all new domains in america are operating WordPress.
- Every day greater than 1000 new WordPress websites be part of the highest 10 million web sites tracked by W3Techs.com.
Whereas these are spectacular stats, the one approach to actually perceive the recognition of WordPress is to take a look at it relative to different widespread content material administration programs.
For instance, Shopify is the second hottest, however it’s just one/tenth the scale of WordPress because it powers about 4.4% of all websites vs WordPress 43.2%.
Wix spends tens of hundreds of thousands in advertising and marketing, however it solely powers 1.9% of all web sites. Which means WordPress is 22x extra widespread than Wix.
Different widespread CMS all have underneath 2% market share every, comparable to Squarespace (1.8%), Joomla (1.7%), Drupal (1.3%), Blogger (1%), and Magento at simply 0.6%.
In relation to reputation, there’s no comparability to WordPress. Based on the utilization statistics, WordPress market share is 3X bigger than the utilization of different 9 widespread web site builders and running a blog platforms mixed.
The largest purpose behind WordPress’ reputation is its massive plugin & extensions ecosystem.
Plugins are like apps on your WordPress web site. You’ll be able to set up them so as to add new options to your web site and prolong its performance. To study extra, see our information on what are WordPress plugins and the way do they work?
Listed here are some mind-blowing details about WordPress plugins, which present simply how huge the WordPress ecosystem is.
- There are greater than 59,000 free WordPress plugins on WordPress.org plugin listing alone.
- 9 of these plugins are put in on 5 million+ web sites.
- 61 high WordPress plugins are put in on greater than 1 million web sites.
- The most well-liked eCommerce plugin, WooCommerce is put in on greater than 5 million web sites as per the WordPress plugin listing because it exhibits all depend above that as 5 million +. Based on W3Techs, WooCommerce market share is 8.8% of all web sites making it extra widespread than Shopify for on-line shops and eCommerce websites.
- The favored WordPress kind plugin, WPForms, can be put in on greater than 5 million web sites. Based on Builtwith, it’s utilized by over 1.6% of the highest 1 million web sites. It’s the quickest rising kind builder on the whole web.
Our plugins stats are from the official WordPress.org plugin listing alone. Many plugin builders promote premium variations of their plugins from their very own web sites.
With a wholesome plugins ecosystem, it means you could add customized performance to your web site at a fraction of the price of customized improvement.
There are free WordPress plugins out there for nearly each kind of web site performance together with contact varieties, promoting memberships, touchdown web page builder, search engine marketing optimization, and extra.
Themes management the looks of a WordPress web site. These are WordPress particular web site design templates you could set up in your web site to alter its look.
There are millions of free and paid WordPress themes out there providing WordPress customers an limitless mixture of design, structure, colour schemes, and options.
- Themes have been first launched with WordPress 1.5 again in 2005, with the primary new default WordPress theme known as Kubrick
- Similar to plugins, there are each free and paid WordPress themes you could set up.
- WordPress.org’s free theme listing has greater than 9,100 free WordPress themes.
- Based on Builtwith, Divi by Elegant Themes is the most well-liked theme utilized by 6% of internet sites analyzed by their service.
- Hundreds of themes are offered by industrial WordPress theme outlets with a mean worth of $40 per theme.
WordPress Internet hosting
WordPress is a self-hosted web site constructing software program. In different phrases, you have to have a website hosting supplier to create a web site with WordPress.
Attributable to its reputation, many internet hosting firms have added specialised WordPress internet hosting companies to make it simpler for small enterprise homeowners to get began with WordPress.
Listed here are some widespread WordPress internet hosting firms based mostly on market share:
- Newfold Digital Group (4.9%) – this can be a internet hosting conglomerate that features manufacturers like Bluehost, HostGator, Area.com, and extra.
- GoDaddy Group (4.2%) – this contains manufacturers like GoDaddy, Media Temple, Pagely, and lots of extra.
- WP Engine (2.3%) – one of many main managed WordPress internet hosting firms on the planet.
- SiteGround (2.0%) – a premium WordPress internet hosting firm that customers love due to their high notch help. We use SiteGround to host WPBeginner web site.
- Hostinger (1.2%) – an inexpensive WordPress internet hosting firm that’s rising in worldwide markets because of it’s low cost website hosting costs.
The information above is from W3Techs report and excludes different platforms like Amazon (AWS), Google Cloud, NameCheap, Automattic, and others. Our record above is consultant of the reader polls on WPBeginner for widespread website hosting.
WordPress is probably the most generally used CMS software program on the planet, which additionally makes it a standard goal of hacking makes an attempt, DDOS assaults, malware, and trojans.
- Based on Sucuri, a number one web site safety firm, 83% of all CMS based mostly web sites that have been hacked in 2017 have been operating WordPress. This quantity isn’t shocking, contemplating that WordPress holds 65% of CMS market share.
- Sucuri additionally reported that 39% of hacked WordPress web sites have been utilizing an outdated model of the software program. That’s why you need to all the time use the most recent model of WordPress in your web site.
- Practically 50% of WordPress websites are affected by a safety vulnerability attributable to an outdated or poorly coded WordPress plugin or theme
- Round 8% of WordPress websites have been hacked because of a weak password.
You can also make your WordPress web site as safe as potential by following some fundamental safety greatest practices. To study extra, see our full WordPress safety information for step-by-step directions.
Typically the stats above trigger WordPress to get a foul repute, however the actuality is that WordPress itself isn’t insecure. WordPress core goes by rigorous safety audits, and it’s safer than many different platforms on the market.
The one fault WordPress has is that it’s widespread, which results in stats like above.
WordPress has a large person base unfold all around the world. It’s utilized by not simply companies, but in addition governments, colleges and faculties, non-profits, and extra.
As an open supply challenge, WordPress is pushed by a worldwide group of customers. Because of this anybody can contribute to the challenge in many various methods.
- WordPress translation group has it totally translated into 56 languages, and partially translated in dozens extra.
- In 2017, WordPress communities world wide organized 128 WordCamp occasions, in 48 nations, and offered 39,625 tickets.
- In 2017, Native WordPress communities organized 4,379 meetups in 73 nations.
- There are dozens of WordPress teams on Fb, with WPBeginner Interact being the biggest WordPress Fb group with 90,000+ members.
If you wish to contribute to WordPress, then see our information on how one can become involved with WordPress challenge.
The WordPress Economic system
WordPress has a thriving multi-billion greenback ecosystem that creates 1000’s of jobs all around the world. This additionally contains freelancers, builders, and firms that promote WordPress-related services.
- On the time of writing this text, freelancer.com web site alone had 680,743 WordPress jobs posted out of those 700 have been open.
- Hundreds of WordPress jobs are at present open on many widespread freelancing web sites. You’ll be able to all the time go to our Careers web page to seek out WordPress jobs.
- Common hourly fee for WordPress builders may be anyplace between $20-$100 per hour, relying on their experience and the job at hand.
- A customized WordPress theme with its personal distinctive design and plugins can price $10,000, and it could improve relying on the challenge’s necessities.
- There are a whole bunch of small and enormous companies, businesses, and builders promoting WordPress-related merchandise. See our record of probably the most influential WordPress companies and firms and what they do.
We hope this text helped you uncover some new WordPress stats, details, and attention-grabbing analysis. You may additionally wish to see our article on the very best area registrar and greatest enterprise cellphone companies for small enterprise.
For those who appreciated this text, then please subscribe to our YouTube Channel for WordPress video tutorials. You may as well discover us on Twitter and Fb.